Welcome to our Whānau
There are so many places parents and whānau can find stories and ideas to support their journey, but getting practical, local, trustworthy information is not always easy.
Our Whānau Connect pages are designed to provide you with a resource to complement your Kidsfirst experience. Here, you’ll find a mix of home grown wisdom, academic and developmental ideas that resonate with the kindergarten philosophy and draw on the decades of experience of our teaching teams, as well as experts in a variety of fields.
Ngā mihi from all the team at Kidsfirst
Ngā tamariki, te ako, te katakata
The children, the learning, the laughter
- The Power of Parent Play 3 Mar 2022The Power of Parent Play 3 Mar 2022From building blocks to building lifelong learners, it’s no secret that play is an integral part of the kindergarten philosophy - but for young tamariki, this is also an opportunity to interact with others, test out ideas, express creativity, and build skills to take out into the world.
- The Value of Community 3 Mar 2022The Value of Community 3 Mar 2022The idea of kindergarten and community have always gone hand-in-hand, and Kidsfirst has a long history of connection between our own whānau, local areas, schools, and services to prove it.Read More
- Ways to bring te reo Māori to everyday life 3 Mar 2022Ways to bring te reo Māori to everyday life 3 Mar 2022Keen to bring more te reo Māori into your life? It could be as easy as sticking some post-it notes on your fridge or bathroom mirror.Read More
- Embracing the changing seasons 3 Mar 2022Embracing the changing seasons 3 Mar 2022 It’s tough for young tamariki to get cooped up inside – they get so much out of the great outdoors, regardless of the weather. Read More
- Should children be able to read or write before school? 3 Mar 2022Should children be able to read or write before school? 3 Mar 2022We sometimes get asked why we don’t focus on teaching tamariki how to read and write at kindergarten. The answer is – we are preparing them for much more than their first day at school.Read More
- Preparing creative thinkers for life 3 Mar 2022Preparing creative thinkers for life 3 Mar 2022Want to encourage a sense of creativity in your child? Now is definitely the time to do it. As adults, it can be hard to think outside the box or colour beyond the lines – but for young children, it’s practically second nature. Read More
- The benefits of learning te reo Māori 2 Sep 2021The benefits of learning te reo Māori 2 Sep 2021So many more Kiwis are learning Te Reo Māori. There are some benefits that come with giving it ago, no matter your age.Read More
- Celebrating all cultures 2 Sep 2021Celebrating all cultures 2 Sep 2021You can't teach joy, wonderment or interest - but it can be fostered by opening the world to tamariki, and getting them to ask the questions.Read More
- Temper Tantrum Talk 2 Sep 2021Temper Tantrum Talk 2 Sep 2021A small, twisted, red face looks up disgusted and mad after being denied chocolate and chips for dinner. Before you get the earplugs out, try some of these tips. Read More
- Navigating Hard Times the Kidsfirst Way 2 Sep 2021Navigating Hard Times the Kidsfirst Way 2 Sep 2021When the world is all a bit much, and the pressure of life weighs heavy on you – don't panic. Times may be tough, but together, people are tougher. Read More