Welcome to our Whānau
There are so many places parents and whānau can find stories and ideas to support their journey, but getting practical, local, trustworthy information is not always easy.
Our Whanau Connect pages are designed to provide you with a resource to complement your Kidsfirst experience. Here, you’ll find a mix of home grown wisdom, academic and developmental ideas that resonate with the kindergarten philosophy and draw on the decades of experience of our teaching teams, as well as experts in a variety of fields.
Ngā mihi from all the team at Kidsfirst
Ngā tamariki, te ako, te katakata
The children, the learning, the laughter
- Can you rock te reo Māori like a 3 year old? 26 Feb 2019Can you rock te reo Māori like a 3 year old? 26 Feb 2019It happens to the best of us - that moment we realise our children are teaching us, instead of the other way around. These days, it’s as likely as not to be Te Reo Māori.Read More
- Getting kids out of the house and into the garden 26 Feb 2019Getting kids out of the house and into the garden 26 Feb 2019It’s never been more important that our children grow up feeling a sense of connection to, and respect for, the natural world around them,Read More
- Helping children through change 26 Feb 2019Helping children through change 26 Feb 2019How you support your child can turn challenging times into valuable life lessons and help build resilience for the rest of their lives. Read More
- Learning through play at home 26 Feb 2019Learning through play at home 26 Feb 2019As your child’s first teachers, you and your whānau have a key role to play in helping them to develop through play-based learning at home.Read More
- Raising confident, resilient kids 26 Feb 2019Raising confident, resilient kids 26 Feb 2019Most children go through phases when they’re more hesitant than usual. There are things you can do to boost your child’s confidence to give things a go.Read More
- Ready, set, go! Your child's first day 26 Feb 2019Ready, set, go! Your child's first day 26 Feb 2019The lunchbox is packed, the backpack waiting expectantly by the front door, and your toddler or preschooler is champing at the bit to finally become a ‘kindy kid’.Read More
- What is learning through play, and does it really prepare children for school? 26 Feb 2019What is learning through play, and does it really prepare children for school? 26 Feb 2019What is play-based learning at the heart of Kidsfirst founding philosophy and educational programme? Can it really prepare children for school and beyond?Read More