Welcome to our Whānau
There are so many places parents and whānau can find stories and ideas to support their journey, but getting practical, local, trustworthy information is not always easy.
Our Whānau Connect pages are designed to provide you with a resource to complement your Kidsfirst experience. Here, you’ll find a mix of home grown wisdom, academic and developmental ideas that resonate with the kindergarten philosophy and draw on the decades of experience of our teaching teams, as well as experts in a variety of fields.
Ngā mihi from all the team at Kidsfirst
Ngā tamariki, te ako, te katakata
The children, the learning, the laughter
- The benefits of learning te reo Māori 2 Sep 2021The benefits of learning te reo Māori 2 Sep 2021So many more Kiwis are learning Te Reo Māori. There are some benefits that come with giving it ago, no matter your age.Read More
- Celebrating all cultures 2 Sep 2021Celebrating all cultures 2 Sep 2021You can't teach joy, wonderment or interest - but it can be fostered by opening the world to tamariki, and getting them to ask the questions.Read More
- Temper Tantrum Talk 2 Sep 2021Temper Tantrum Talk 2 Sep 2021A small, twisted, red face looks up disgusted and mad after being denied chocolate and chips for dinner. Before you get the earplugs out, try some of these tips. Read More
- Navigating Hard Times the Kidsfirst Way 2 Sep 2021Navigating Hard Times the Kidsfirst Way 2 Sep 2021When the world is all a bit much, and the pressure of life weighs heavy on you – don't panic. Times may be tough, but together, people are tougher. Read More
- Calming First Day Nerves 2 Sep 2021Calming First Day Nerves 2 Sep 2021Equipping tamariki with the power to change that pit of worry in their stomach, to one of excitement and anticipation is easier than you may think...Read More
- Helping children through hard times 26 Feb 2019Helping children through hard times 26 Feb 2019Every community and all whānau go through hard times, and sometimes it can feel overwhelming. Whether it's a global pandemic, or something challenging going on at home, our Kidsfirst community has been through a lot - and learned a lot about helping tamarki through. Read More
- The kindy difference 26 Feb 2019The kindy difference 26 Feb 2019Kindergarten is different in many ways from other forms of early childhood education. The learning through play, a focus on connection with the outdoors, biculturalism, strong values and the benefit of mixed aged groups are just some of the things that make up the ‘kindy difference.’Read More