A favourite for generations of local kids.
Above: A snapshot of the Papanui daily drama.
Papanui Kindergarten opened in 1946 and was originally based on Frank Street but arrangements for it to move to the Bellevue Ave location began soon after, in 1949.
The Kindergarten Chronicle of 1949 details the need for the move...
"Though we maintain the happiest of relationships with church organisations, this building must sometimes feel like the "Old Lady who lived in a Shoe," with so many children she didn't know what to do!"
Christchurch Kindergarten Chronicle 1949.
Our website uses material from the Canterbury Westland Kindergarten Association's own archives, Kindergarten Chronicles and other CWFKA publications, and those sourced from the kindys themselves. Unless otherwise noted, we believe all photographs are those of the kindergarten association and sincerely apologise if we have used any images inadvertently, without appropriate credits or permissions. If so, please advise us so we can rectify the situation.