Celebrating Chinese New Year.
新年快乐 / Xīnnián kuàilè / Happy Chinese New Year! We welcome the opportunity to explore family traditions unique to each child and celebrate diversity.
FIND OUT WHY WE'RE JUST BETTER BECAUSE...
Chinese New Year is a time for new beginnings and a fresh start, with red the celebrated colour representing good luck and prosperity.
Chinese New Year is traditionally a time when friends and family get together to share food. Kidsfirst Hawthornden shared steamed buns shaped like puppies! (As it is now the Year of the Dog).
"One of our parents organised for a Chinese dance group to come and share the Lion Dance with us," says Head Teacher, Catherine Gerslov-Wright. "It was very loud but the children were fascinated - especially when some received a mandarin from the Lion's mouth!"
TRADITIONAL CHINESE LION DANCE, STEAMED BUNS AND DRAGON ART.
"Another Chinese family brought in paper Chinese dragons to make, with tamariki fascinated by creating, imagining and innovating their dragons throughout the day."
We really value and appreciate families sharing special cultural events with us, giving tamariki opportunities to try new things and help make connections with the wider world.
Did you know?
- 2018 is the Year of the Dog, one of the twelve year cycle of animals to appear in the Chinese zodiac, related to the Chinese calendar.
- People born under this sign are said to have the great attributes associated with a dog, being good friends, loyal and loving – positive personality traits in anyone’s book.
- If you were born in the Year of the Dog i.e 1958, 1970, 1982, 1994 then you are in good company. You are with eminent personalities such as Michael Jackson, Winston Churchill, Prince William, Dr Jane Goddall, Confucius, Socrates, Benjamin Franklin and the Canadian author Lucy Maud Montgomery, best known for a series of novels beginning in 1908 with Anne of Green Gables, just to name a few who share the Year of the Dog with you.
- The character 狗 refers to the actual animal while 戌 refers to the zodiac animal.
Head Office, 43 Birmingham Drive, Middleton, Christchurch 8024
Postal Details: Kidsfirst Kindergartens, PO Box 8089, Christchurch 8440
- AS THE PLACE LOCAL KIDS COME TO LEARN, PLAY AND HAVE FUN.