OUR LATEST ISSUE
SOME OTHER STORIES...
- Wales St, summer splashWales St, summer splashTamariki at Kidsfirst Wales Street make a splash in the summer heat. Read More
- Sunbeam, monarch magicSunbeam, monarch magicWhat can a monarch butterfly/kahuku teach children at kindergarten? Read More
- Maniototo, musterer's shedManiototo, musterer's shedKidsfirst Maniototo's musterer's shed is a cool place to be on a hot day. Read More
- Network, what do you love most?Network, what do you love most?We asked teachers around the network just what it is about their outdoor area they love most. Read More
- Wales Street, Te Ika A MāuiWales Street, Te Ika A MāuiKidsfirst Wales Street tamariki explored the Māori legends of Te Ika A Māui with painted murals. Read More
- Riccarton, Te Rā the sunRiccarton, Te Rā the sunTamariki explore the Māori legends of Te Rā (the sun) with creative art works. Read More
- New beginningsNew beginningsTamariki are off to a great start at Kidsfirst West Rolleston. Read More
- Daltons Sunflowers Daltons Sunflowers Our budding gardeners take sunflower growing to great heights for Daltons competition. Read More
- Budding writer Rhythm Budding writer Rhythm Kidsfirst Hei Hei's Rhythm has a passion for writing and gave Chinese characters a go Read More
- Christmas creationsChristmas creationsTamariki created festive candy canes to hang on the Christmas tree at home Read More
The end of an era in Hornby...
After 43 years spent serving the Kidsfirst Hornby community, Kidsfirst Kindergartens are sad to see Barbara Allred leave as Head Teacher. It is the end of an era.
Over the years, Barbara has not only taught the children in the area but has supported their families in a huge variety of ways. Barbara has always willingly given of her time to talk with parents, support families with concerns, and advocate for children.
Because of the length of her service, Barbara has seen the children of children she taught coming to the kindergarten as their parents chose the kindy and kindy teacher they knew from their own past. She has been an extremely valued teacher and many parents speak very highly of 'Mrs Allred' and the wonderful experienced provided for them at kindergarten.
With Barbara's departure a teaching team who have worked together for 21 years will be disbanded. The combination of Barbara, Judy and Rayleen was widely respected by parents who appreciated the combined experience and wisdom of the teachers - some even choosing to drive from outside the area to be part of the kindergarten.
The kindergarten community was saddened to hear of Barbara's leaving and gathered together to create a 'poem' and presented Barbara with a beautiful white phalaenopsis orchid. The poem below reflects Barbara's years at the kindergarten, her outside interests and some of her personal interests.
THE BARBARA ALLRED ALPHABET
Every letter is a memory we share...
A is for Allred
B is for Barbara
C is for Children, Caring and Cookie walks
D is for Dress ups, Dolls, Diggers and Dancing
E is for Empathy and Enthusiasm
F is for Families and Five year olds you have graduated to school
G is for Grandchildren
H is for Head Teacher of Hornby Kindergarten
I is for Imagination and Inspiration
J is for Judy Chamberlain, Jingle bells and Joy
K is for Kindness, Knowledge and Keepsakes
L is for Laughter and Loving
M is for Matriarch, Mat times and Miss Jenny
N is for Names of the many children you have taught
O is for Orchid, a precious flower we gift to you
P is for Play dough, Puzzles and Puppet shows
Q is for Questions and Quiet time
R is for Rayleen McAuliffe, Rainbows and Retirement
S is for Swings, Slides, Stories and Sunshine
T is for Travel and Takamatua holidays
U is for Understanding
V is for Variety and Vision of learning
W is for Water play and Wonder on children's faces
X is for the X factor that you have
Y is for Years of memories
Z is for the Zest you have for the Hornby Kindergarten, your fellow teaching friends and the many families of Hornby children.
KIDSFIRST KINDERGARTENS ARE A NOT FOR PROFIT ASSOCIATION THAT HAS DEVELOPED AND MAINTAINED KINDERGARTENS IN CHRISTCHURCH, CANTERBURY AND ON THE WEST COAST FOR OVER 100 YEARS - AS THE PLACE LOCAL KIDS COME TO LEARN, PLAY AND HAVE FUN.
Barbara Allred leaves Kidsfirst Hornby after 43 years of service to the community.